Before we go ahead and discuss what should you chose to pursue, MPhil or Ph.D., let’s start with a short story, “Power of Education in my life”.
Education fills good thoughts inside a human being and eliminates the worst thoughts inside. Education paves the way for human life. It works to empower humans in society. It brings humanity inside man. Through this, there is a considerable help in putting good values in the human community. All of us are very well aware of the importance of education. That is why every student in the world wants to get a better education because education not only provides them better-thought process, moral values & intellectual thinking in decision-making for life but, also provides them with better earning for their livelihood. Especially, if they apply in a reliable and one of the famous MNC’s of the corporate world. So, a student after completing a post-graduation always think “what should I pursue further MPhil. or Ph.D. in order to make my career better?” To answer this question let us learn about the differences, advantages, and disadvantages of the 2 courses – Ph.D. and MPhil.
According to the research, MPhil. is known as ‘‘Masters of Philosophy” on the other hand Ph.D. is called “Doctor of Philosophy”. Although both the degrees are related to research and can be obtained after doing a Master’s degree in any of the subjects via some reputed universities. One can opt for a Ph.D. after a bachelor’s degree with excellent academic records. The student has to submit a research paper in both the courses which he/she wants to pursue. Yes, it is true that some study materials and structures are the same in MPhil and Ph.D. yet there are some differences highlighted below, which also answers MPhil or Ph.D. what and why should you chose either of them.
MPhil or Ph.D.: Detailed comparison
- Usually, MPhil degree is of 2 years but in rare cases, it can be of 3 years as well. The degree of MPhil is primarily a thesis-based course and called a senior or second part of the master’s degree between Ph.D. and trained Master’s Degree. A tutee can get an MPhil degree after a few years of operational research but before giving disquisition. This degree may work essential for enrolling in a Ph.D. degree.
- On the other hand, a doctorate degree or Ph.D. degree has a high weight over an M.Phil degree. M.Phil conventionally has to be original. The research work in the discourse requires not to be compulsorily original instead it can replicate research that has already been done.
- The M.Phil degree is generally referred to as a necessity to enter into the learning of a Ph.D. degree. The dissertation for MPhil does not have to be constructed on ingenuity rather than it can be taken from someone else researches. On the hand, the thesis for a Ph.D. should be original. And it should be given to the judging panel to examine so that a student gets a degree of a doctorate. The Ph.D. degree has a higher value than an M.Phil. On the contrary to this Ph.D. is known as a doctorate. It was awarded by universities. The education level required to pursue Ph.D. courses depends on The criteria in order to complete a Ph.D. degree differ from university to university, institution and time period as well. A candidate who completes the doctorate degree, he or she is known as “a doctor” of the subject. For instance, former Prime Minister Doctor Manmohan Singh is known as the “Doctor of Economics” as he has done his Ph.D. in the economics subject. The word “Doctorate of philosophy” does not links with the field of philosophy but used in the wider scope.
- The Universities of U.S., Canada, and Denmark demand an additional course work to write a thesis. Some of the universities require the author of the thesis to defend the thesis work before he/she can submit their work to a panel of experts for scrutinizing it. The thesis should require good synthesis along with strong capabilities and facet investigation along with practical examples or illustrations.
Here’s what you need to know about MPhil in India:
Here’s what you need to know about Ph.D. in India:
Let us learn about the key highlights of the MPhil course
|Course Level||Advanced Post Graduate|
|Examination Type||Semester system/ Year wise|
Completed masters or equivalent degree in relevant field from a recognized university with minimum 55% marks
Merit-Based/ Entrance Test
INR 1 to 3 Lacs
|Average Starting Salary||
INR 1 to 5 Lacs
|Top Recruiting Areas||
Consultancy, Educational Institutes, Human Services Industry, Law Firms, Magazines, Newspapers, Publishing House, Research and Development Institutes
Hence, we can say MPhil should be pursued by a student after doing master’s degree as it enhances intellectual thinking and provides a better career for the future.
Let us learn about the key highlights of the Ph.D. course
|Examination Type||Semester wise|
IELTS, TOEFL, CAE, CPE, PTW, ISE
INR 10,000 to 3 lakhs
|Average Starting Salary||
INR 2 to 20 lakhs
|Top Recruiting Organizations||
CACTUS communications private ltd, Edison education, FIITJEE Ltd, Accenture private ltd, IPE global limited
|Top Recruiting areas||
Museums, art galleries, historical sites, national parks, an archaeological survey of India
Colleges and Universities which offers M.Phil. and Ph.D. courses in India:
The M.Phil or Ph.D. course is available at various colleges and universities across the country. But, nevertheless, seats per course are not very sizeable and intake is very less. Some popular colleges and universities offering these courses are:
- Lovely Professional University
- Amity University
- Christ University
- Savitribai Phule Pune University
- JNU University
- Panjab University
- Chaudhary Charan Singh University
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM)
- Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK)
- Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur (IITKGP)
- Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (IITR)
- Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IITG)
- University of Calcutta
- University of Delhi
- The University of Mumbai
- Jain University
So, these are the list of universities that provide the best MPhil or Ph.D. course for students.
Hence, to conclude that a Ph.D. a doctorate degree is the major degree one can have in the academic field. After reading about M.Phil. and Ph.D. both the degrees have their own value and importance for the student and he/she can pursue any educational degree of his or her interest.
MPhil or Ph.D. , is MPhil required for Ph.D., MPhil vs Ph.D., how to do MPhil, scope after MPhil, MPhil eligibility, m.phil benefits, MPhil course in distance education, best colleges for MPhil in india, best universities for MPhil in English in india, list of India Ph.D. universities